Page last modified
June 20, 2010
Kilimanjaro Climb: Private Kilimanjaro operate the best private climbs and charity treks up Mt Kilimanjaro with experienced guides, good food and good equipment. They are responsible for our Kilimanjaro Climbs.
The easiest and most popular route up Kilimanjaro is the Marangu Route (aka "the coca cola route "). Machame/Mweka route is the preferred one. Five days/four nights on the mountain is the recommended minimum time. An extra night can be arranged for those that would like longer to acclimate to high altitude. Climbs normally include a night at a hotel at the beginning and/or end of a climb. Zanzibar and Ushongo on the Tanzania coast are excellent places to spend a few days relaxing after a climb. Recommended is to spend four nights at Ushongo and two to three nights in Zanzibar Stone Town. See Mikumi and Saadani National Parks for safaris as an addition to climbing Kilimanjaro.
KILIMANJARO CLIMB TARIFFS per person:
Machame Route 6 days: 2 persons $1,250; 3-4 persons $1,200.
Machame Route 7 days: 2 persons $1,350; 3-4 persons $1,300.
Marangu Route 5 days: 2 persons $1,050; 3-4 persons $1,000.
Marangu Route 6 days: 2 persons $1,150; 3-4 persons $1,100.
Rongai or Londorossi Routes 6 days: $1,400; 3-4 persons $1,200.
Cost includes food, park fees, guide and porters.
The Marangu Route is the only one that has permanent Norwegian-style huts for overnights. For the other routes, accommodation is in small tents. At lower altitudes camping is fun; above 3,500 metres it gets uncomfortably cold and some people begin to experience mountain sickness.
Accompanying every group are guides and porters, e.g. for a group of two persons, there are two guides, two porters, another 2 porters for the guides and a cook.
Marangu Route 7 DAYS: 2 persons $1,350 each; 3-4 persons $1.300 Extra night on mountain $140. Overnight in huts: large wooden communal chalet with smaller huts nearby. They are solar lit. Toilets are clean.
1. A four hour hike to the hut through montane forest. Overnight Mandara Hut.
2. The trail continues for the first part through highland forest and then at 12,000 ft/3,700 m. changes to alpine moorland. Horombo Hut
3. The trail from Horombo to Kibo Hut takes a further six hours passing through alpine moor land and rock desert. Kibo Hut is at 15,000 feet 4,700m. At this altitude temperatures are often below freezing. Kibo Hut.
4. This is the toughest day of the climb. An early morning is required. Takes about six hours to reach Gilman?s point. If weather and your physical well-being permits, you can continue to Uhuru Peak. For many climbers, Gilman?s Point is considered the summit. The descent and return to Horombo Hut is a long hike and will take the better part of a tiring and challenging day. Horombo Hut.
5. Return via Mandara Hut to Marangu Gate and hotel.
6. Depart. Transfers will be arranged to Kilimanjaro Airport for those with return or onward flights.
Rongai Route 6 DAYS 2 persons $ 1,400; 3-4 persons $1,350. Extra Night on mountain $140 per person. Overnight in tents.
1. The first day is a short hike of three hours that passes through highland forest to 9,000 feet/2,750m. Camp.
2-3. The trail continues for the first part through highland forest and then at 12,000 ft/3,700 m. changes to alpine moorland. Camp.
4. The trail takes a further six hours passing through alpine moor land and rock desert. It is at this altitude that symptoms of altitude sickness may appear. Frequently it passes. Keep warm and drink lots of fluid. Camp.
5. This is the toughest day of the climb. An early morning start is required. Takes about six hours to reach Gilman?s Point. Carrying on after Gilman?s Point depends on the weather and yourself. Camp.
6. Return to gate and transfer to hotel.
Umbwe Route. Not recommended. Use Machame Route.
Machame Route 7 DAYS 2 persons $1,350; 3-4 persons $1,300: Overnight in tents.
1. Arrive at hotel. Dinner and overnight stay.
2. Transfer to Kilimanjaro Park Gate at Machame at 1800 metres. From the gate the climb is through montane forest to the edge of the moorland. Overnight Machame Camp. 2,890 m. 5 to 7 hours.
3. Machame Hut to Shira Plateau. Follow the trail to the open moor land at 3,600metres finally reaching Shira Camp. (3,840metres). 9 kms. 5 to 6 hours.
4. Shira to Barranco. The day is spent at much the same altitude as the previous day. This will help to acclimate to high altitude conditions. The trail from Shira continues up the ridge toward Kibo. After 4 hours the trail turns right and descends into Barranco Valley. Overnight at Barranco Camp. 3,950m. 12 kms. 5 to 6 hours.
5. Barranco to Barafu. The trail crosses Barranco Valley and up the Barranco Wall (techinical climbing not involved). Wonderful views of Kibo's southern glaciers when the weather is clear. Overnight Barafu Camp. 4,600m. 6 to 7 hours.
6. Barranco to Summit and descend to Mweka Hut. This is a long day involving 15 hours of fairly strenuous walking. Early morning start with a steep climb over scree and rock toward Rebmann's Ratzel glaciers where the trail comes out near Stella's Point. The summit of Uhuru Peak is a further hour's walk. Descend via Barafu (1 to 2 hours from Stella's Point) and continue for a further 3 to 4 hours to Mweka Camp. 15 hours.
6. Mweka to Machame Gate. Descend to Machame Gate, arriving shortly after mid-day. 4 to 6 hours. Transfer to hotel.
OTHER CLIMBS AND HIKES: See Walking Safaris for more detailed information.
1. MOUNT MERU CLIMB 3 DAYS. 2 PERSONS $470; 3-4 PERSONS $440.
Mt Meru is overshadowed by its larger neighbor but what is not generally known is that at one time in the not so distant past it was considerably higher than Kilimanjaro. Meru is probably a better hiking area than Kilimanjaro. Mt Meru at 14,979 ft / 4600 m. is the fifth highest mountain on the African Continent.
2. OLDOINYO L'ENGAI CLIMB. $40 for first person and $10 per person thereafter.
The only active volcano in Tanzania. See Walking Safaris page for full details on Oldoinyo L'Engai. Although not a climb, it is one of the hardest 3,000 metre "walks" in the world - there is no break in the angle of the slope. Takes from 5 hours for the very fittest to ten hours for those in not such good shape. The climb goes well with the Embakai to Lake Natron Hike. If you require a porter the cost is $35. This should be paid direct to the porter.
3. NGORONGORO HIGHLANDS HIKE. 3 Days. 2 persons $390. 4 persons $310. Best hiked after visiting Ngorongoro.
Copyright ? 2009 Swala Safaris Ltd. All rights reserved.